Jeff Riffell and Josh Smith, December 2019 UWIN Seminar Speakers

The UWIN seminars continue with a pair of short talks by Jeff Riffell and Josh Smith. The seminar is on Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 3:30pm in Husky Union Building (HUB) 337. Refreshments will be served prior to the talks.

“The sensory biology and neurobiology of the mosquito – the world’s deadliest animal”

Jeff Riffell, Professor, Department of Biology, University of Washington

“Acoustic Levitation”

Josh Smith, Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of Washington

Abstracts:

“The sensory biology and neurobiology of the mosquito – the world’s deadliest animal” ( Jeff Riffell)

Here, in this talk, I will focus our recent work on the Aedes aegypti mosquito, an important disease vector. Little is known about the neural circuits that drive mosquito host-finding behavior, but I will describe our efforts towards characterizing the neural bases of behavior at different life-history stages (adult sugar-seeking, host-locating), and developing new tools for interrogating those circuits. Further, I will argue that such an understanding can lead to new interventions and tools for mosquito control. 

“Acoustic Levitation” (Josh Smith)

I will present some early work in my group on using ultrasound to levitate small objects. After introducing the technique, I will discuss potential applications in neuroscience, neurotechnology, robotics, and other areas.